- Computer-Assisted Total Joint Replacement (Hip & Knee)
- Patient-Specific Reverse and Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Cartilage Repair
- Ligament Reconstruction
- Sports Medicine
- General Orthopedics
Thomas Paynter, MD
Thomas Paynter, MD
Anchorage, Eagle River
Wilford Hall Air Force Medical Center San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium (SAUSHEC)
University of Iowa College of Medicine
Dr. Thomas Paynter is a joint-replacement specialist who is also skilled at complete restoration and reconstruction procedures. He performs a wide variety of procedures and takes time to thoroughly educate patients on their treatment options.
Dr. Paynter is a U.S. Air Force veteran and served several years at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson as an orthopedic surgeon and department chair. He is currently a flight surgeon overseeing the medical care for the Alaska Air National Guard Pararescue Jumpers. Before joining the OPA team, he worked as a private practice orthopedic surgeon in his hometown of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he also served as an orthopedic chair and primary team physician for a local high school.
When not helping athletes and active Alaskans reclaim their active lifestyles, Dr. Paynter enjoys spending time with family, mountain and trail running, hunting, fishing and live music.
- Alpine Surgery Center
- Alaska Regional Hospital
- Providence Alaska Medical Center
- Team Physician — Anchorage Wolverines
- Biologic treatment with platelet-rich plasma
- Computer-Assisted Joint Replacement
- Arthroscopic Procedures including Ligament Reconstruction
- Robotic-arm assisted joint replacements: total and partial knee, total hip
- Operative and Non-operative Sports Medicine
- Patient-specific anatomic and reverse total shoulder replacements
I saw Dr. Paynter for a work related injury and he was fantastic!! He did a very thorough exam and gave me a few options for the next steps in the my diagnosing and healing process. I love that he involved me in this decision rather than tell me what he will do next. I’m so happy my coworker recommended him to me!
The OPA team includes Alaska’s leading specialists and offers some of the latest, most advanced treatment procedures available today.
OPA treats a wide variety of conditions and offers comprehensive treatment options — including many non-surgical solutions, minimally invasive arthroscopies (repairs), and total joint replacement.