OPA treats a wide variety of hip conditions and offers comprehensive treatment options — including many non-surgical solutions, minimally invasive hip arthroscopies (repairs) and total hip replacement.
What is a Hip Bursitis?
Hip bursitis is inflammation of hip bursae—small fluid-filled sacs that cushion the hip joint and help it move. Trochanteric bursitis, the most common type of hip bursitis, is bursitis of the bursae that covers the greater trochanter of the femur (leg bone). Iliopsoas bursitis is bursitis of the iliopsoas bursa on the inside of the hip near the groin.
- Overuse (sports, physical activities)
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- An accident or injury
- Anatomy—one leg is longer than the other, which stresses the hip
Common symptoms of Hip Bursitis include:
- Sharp, intense pain directly over the inflamed bursa
- A dull ache across the hip
- Night pain
When you arrive for your initial consultation, Orthopedic Physicians Alaska (OPA) team of hip specialists will evaluate your areas of concern, discuss your symptoms, and develop a customized and comprehensive treatment plan tailored to your unique needs. This evaluation is a necessary part of diagnosing your condition and providing the best possible care.
When diagnosing Hip Bursitis, the OPA specialist will provide:
- A medical, injury, and symptom history review
- A physical examination
- Medical imaging studies are usually not needed to diagnose bursitis; however, they may be ordered and analyzed to rule out a more serious injury.
Once an official diagnosis is made, a customized treatment plan is prescribed. Treatment plans decrease your symptoms to help you live an active lifestyle.
An OPA specialist prescribes a combination of nonsurgical treatment options to treat hip bursitis:
Limits movements that cause symptom flare-ups.
One of OPA’s onsite physical therapist prescribes and monitors strengthening and stretching exercises.
After hip bursitis is cured, an OPA specialist usually recommends preventative measures such as:
- Avoid activities that cause symptom flare-ups
- Lose weight, if applicable
- Shoe inserts
At OPA, our board-certified and fellowship-trained team of hip specialists are experts in diagnosing and treating hip bursitis.
If you are experiencing hip pain and would like a treatment solution you should contact OPA to schedule an appointment at any of our convenient locations in Anchorage and Wasilla.