Physical Therapy with an emphasis in: Orthopedics, Sports Medicine
Matthew Obermeyer, PT, DPT
Matthew Obermeyer, PT, DPT
Doctor of Physical Therapy (2019)
Washington University School of Medicine
St. Louis, MO
Matthew Obermeyer earned his doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, MO. In his practice, Dr. Obermeyer carefully guides surgical patients through the recovery process with customized exercise programs that encourage strength and flexibility, balanced with rest and healing. Born and raised in Alaska and a graduate of East High (Go Thunderbirds!), Dr. Obermeyer brings to OPA a wealth of physical therapy experience—and service to his community.
Before pursuing his doctorate in physical therapy, Dr. Obermeyer taught English in Southeast Asia and in the Anchorage School District. With an undergraduate degree double major in Philosophy and Psychology, he brings a wide breadth of understanding to the process of healing. He is experienced in neurological, sports, and pediatric rehabilitation and works collaboratively with other clinicians to facilitate patient improvement in function and independence.
A valued volunteer for many worthy causes, he has aided efforts local and abroad—from fundraising to combat cancer and Parkinson’s to participating in a medical mission delivering healthcare to residents in rural villages of the Dominican Republic.
In his free time, Dr. Obermeyer enjoys hiking mountains, fishing, and mountain biking. He and his twin sister are avid dog lovers and can frequently be found walking their four-legged friends on the trails in Anchorage.
Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude Honors Graduate (2008)
Kansas City, MO
HONORS & AWARDS
- Recipient of the Edward L Biersmith Philosophy Scholarship, 2007-08
- President of Phi Sigma Tau (National Philosophy Honor Society) 2007- 08, Treasurer 2006-07, Induction April 2006
- Member Tri-Beta Biology Club, September 2006 Induction
- Vice-President of Alaska Volunteers Around the World (International Medical Volunteering), 2013 – 2014
- Initiated Online Fundraising, created a website that raised $4000 for a 2-week medical mission to the Dominican Republic.
- Volunteered to deliver free healthcare and medicine to over 700 residents of impoverished rural villages.
- Rock Steady Boxing volunteer, helping people with physical disabilities in St. Louis, MO and Indianapolis, IN.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Licensed by the State of Alaska for the Practice of Physical Therapy
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and Alaska APTA Member
- APTA Sports Physical Therapy Section Member
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support Certified, Adult and Pediatric CPR, AED, First Aid
The OPA team includes Alaska’s leading specialists and offers some of the latest, most advanced treatment procedures available today.
OPA treats a wide variety of conditions and offers comprehensive treatment options — including many non-surgical solutions, minimally invasive arthroscopies (repairs), and total joint replacement.